Sunday, February 9, 2014

Consciousness vs. Rationality

Notes From Underground has led me to contemplate the difference between the importance of consciousness and rationality. The underground man thinks that consciousness is more important than rationality because, "Once you have two times two makes four, here is nothing left to do or understand" (Dostoevsky 32). He believes that once you have realized something through rational thought, a man would be restricted to contemplating the fact.

Rational thought is the ability to make decisions for ourselves and believe that we have made the right choice. On the other hand, consciousness allows us to perceive what consequences our actions have. I agree with the underground man because without consciousness, discovery, inventiveness, and knowledge would seem useless. The urge to discover is what pushes me to work hard throughout my life. Although I view the value of consciousness differently from the underground man, who thinks that, "corporal punishment is still better than nothing" (Dostoevsky 33), I also believe that it supersedes rational thought.

The ability to realize the implications and analyze them is all that keeps me sane. The underground man's audience think that rational thought will lead them to a utopian society of crystal castles. The underground man satirically mocks them for thinking that there could ever be a perfect society. I agree that like wind moving around the world from high to low pressure, the status of the world consistently shifts and will never settle evenly. Rationality would allow for the world to settle like so, because if everyone had "correct" morals and true rationality, everyone would have the same opinions to better the world and themselves. Consciousness allows us to be aware of ourselves and our personal needs and to have the drive to better ourselves.


1 comment:

  1. Yo Bobby, I really enjoyed reading about what you thought about the differences between rational and conscious thinking. Personally, I'm a bit more of a conscious thinker, I agree with you though that a rational thinker has a bigger drive to discover things and learn knowledge. I also agree that rational thinking would allow our world to settle, as you put it. The world would be a lot more relaxed if every made rational decisions. Overall, great input about this.

    ReplyDelete